Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer Reading, Part II

Although I started out my summer by reading a number of good books (Ex Libris, Final Salute, When You Are Engulfed in Flames), my reading jag has slowed down considerably. While the early part of my teaching assistant position lent itself to reading (I read while waiting for students to arrive at school and to pass a few spare minutes I might have), we are now in the death throes of the term, which translates into lots of paper grading and meetings.

My other obstacle is my comprehensive exam, which is looming in the not-too-distant future. While I enjoy reading literary criticism and educational research, I'm starting to overdose on too much theory and research. I have managed to read (and annotate by using highlighters and/ or Post-It Notes) six books in the past five days. This is progress, but I have another load to pick up from the library tomorrow.

However, as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow would note, "behind the clouds is the sun still shining." If grading papers and reading research is the worst thing that is going to happen to me all summer (not counting the entire wisdom tooth extraction experience), then my life is certainly not bad. Furthermore, the Boston Public Library book sale is this weekend, which combines three of my favorite things (libraries, books, and bargain shopping) all in one place!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!

"I have faith in you, Jimmy Harper!"