Sunday, April 11, 2010

from "Ani Maamin" by Elie Wiesel: A Poem for Yom Hashoah

from Ani Maamin: A Song Lost and Found Again
by Elie Wiesel

I believe, Abraham,
Despite Treblinka.
I believe, Isacc,
Because of Belsen.
I believe, Jacob,
Because and in spite of Majdanek.
Dead in vain,
Dead for naught,
I believe.
Pray men.
Pray to God,
Against God,
For God.
I believe.
Whether the Messiah comes,
I believe.
Or is late in coming,
I believe.
Whether God is silent
Or weeps,
I believe.
I believe for him,
In spite of him.
I believe in you,
Even against your will.
Even if you punish me
For believing in you.
Blessed are the fools
Who shout their faith.
Blessed are the fools
Who go on laughing.
Who mock the man who mocks the Jew,
Who help their brothers
Singing, over and over and over:
I believe.
I believe in the coming of the Messiah,
And though he tarries,
I wait daily for his coming.
I believe.

0 comments: